Friday, August 19, 2011

Random Line Friday


“You're not busy. Your five.”

I cannot claim today's random line. Credit goes to Hayao Miyazaik from his movie Ponyo. The dialogue is between two 5 year old children. A girl asks Sousuke, to play and he says “I can't, I'm busy.”

Everytime Catherine and I get together to collaborate on the illustrations for Titus one of us inevitably quotes this line. It just sums dear Titus up quite well. He is a busy child. Titus gets cross when he is accused of playing and don't even think of calling his model soldiers toys or action figures.
Enough about Titus. Let me gush about Ponyo.

Hayao Miyazaki has been my daughter's favorite director since her daddy gave her Totoro for Christmas when she was 3. Not every Miyazaki movie is good for the younger set. It's going to be a long time before we let our kids watch Princess Mononoke.

Everyone should watch Ponyo, Miyazaki's telling of the Little Mermaid story. The animation is beautiful. The soundtrack alone is perfectly married to the images, like a deep breath. I could go on and on. But I won't.

Ok. One last point. It is a really great exercise/experience for grown ups and kids to watch Disney's Little Mermaid one day and Ponyo the next. Makes for lots of great discussions. Like a little critical thinking playground.

1 comment:

josie said...

hi again kristen i don't know how to explain but when i read your blog it's like soaking in knowledge that i haven't done in years i have tried to blog but things in life i kept me to busy to keep up and can't even remember pass word but ty for helping me keep my thought of bloging alive in the future and hope it is half as interesting as yours ty again for taking my mind somewhere other than my everyday stressful life as it seems to be now will be glad when i can settle down and spend time thinking of what i want to blog about and maybe start scra
tching on paper about what i want to blog about lots of things have changed since first started and i know i have some amazing things to blog about that has happened lately ty again friend Josie